Saturday, September 28, 2013

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

As many of you already know, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire is one of my all time favorite books. It wasn't until just a moment ago that I realized I never posted my review.... so here it is!

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire




beautiful disaster review
Summary- Abby Abernathy arrives at Eastern University and gets settled into her new dorm with her best friend just as classes are about to begin. Running from a terrifying past, Abby is relieved to know that she can finally put it behind her and start a new chapter in her life. Being the good girl she is, Abby offers to be the designated driver and see everyone home from the first party of the year. Never did she imagine the horrifying predicament she would find herself in when walking to the parking lot alone.
Travis Maddox, on the other hand, is nothing like good girl Abby. Travis is a college bad boy covered in tattoos, in hangs with a rough crowd and is the campus charmer that has all the girls swooning over him. The two finally meet when they realize that Abby's best friend and roommate, is dating Travis's best friend and roommate. While Abby does not care for his lifestyle or bad boy charm, Travis is turned on by her resistance.

Hoping to finally get the point across that she is not interested, Abby agrees to a simple bet brought on by Travis. If Travis wins, Abby must live with him, in his apartment for a full month. If Abby wins, he must refrain from sexual contact with other girls for a month. Either way, one of them is going to be in for the longest month of their life. Travis has unknowingly me someone he can't beat, and someone who won't stand down in fear of his bad boy ways, and someone he can't intimidate.

My Review of Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster is one of my favorite romance books. The story was well-written and the characters were amazing. One thing I really enjoyed about the book was the realistic characters. Travis and Abby were very life like, making it easier to 'put yourself in their shoes'. When you can relate to the characters in a 'real world' scenario, it makes the book much easier to relate to and enjoy. 

I love how Abby had the innocent 'good girl' lifestyle, but yet she wasn't whiny. Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but some of the best books can be ruined by a whiny character. While she was simple and innocent, she had a way about her that made her strong and witty. Travis, no doubt, was my favorite character. Aside from his hot, bad boy charm, he was very sweet and nothing more than a big teddy bear at heart. That is, when he wasn't in the underground fighting ring. I loved how Travis called Abby 'Pigeon'. When he finally says why he calls her Pigeon, it will melt your heart. 

When I read the excerpt from the first two pages on Amazon I was kind of turned off by it. It sounded like a book with one of those dark, dreary plots that teeter on the edge of being a horror flick. Well, when I first began to read the book I was a little discouraged to find that was how the book started. I nearly put it down but continued on a few more chapters. I am so glad I did. Once I realized what was going on, it was not what I thought. It was a major part of the story that made great sense a few paragraphs down. My reason for telling you all of this? Because some of the sites offering the excerpt did a bad job of choosing a good for the book that portrays the true story of the book. It makes the book seem more like a horror flick with the darkness, screaming, chanting and everything else that would make you think you were reading about a mosh pit filled with an angry beast. 

Over all, I would have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Beautiful Disaster and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys good romance novels with a great plot, a little drama, and lots of suspense!

Walking Disaster - Book #2

Walking Disaster is the second book in the Beautiful Series by Jamie McGuire. It picks up where Beautiful Disaster left off and tells the story in Travis' point of view. I personally, love the cover of this book and find it much more appealing than the cover of Beautiful Disaster, which- I almost didn't read because the cover made me think it was some fantasy, sci-fi, YA type of book that I wouldn't care for. I am so glad that I read the blurb and didn't judge the book by it's cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment